POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 16 Nov 2002 07:54:48
Message: <3dd64018@news.povray.org>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I can post an image if it helps - but
>> basically it's a large empty room with a smallish opening in the roof
that
>> lets in the light from a superambient object outside.
>> [...]
>
>This is never a good idea, you will need an extremely high count (probably
>larger than the maximum of 1600) to get smooth results in such a
>situation.  A high quality area light instead of the ambient object is
>usually a better solution.
>
>Christoph

So... in short, you can't use radiosity. (Unless it's on a scene where it
won't make any real difference anyway.)

Actually, I like the idea of using an area light instead. (There is a large
white object directly under the skylight that was supposed to throw the
light around the room - but it doesn't anyway!) I had actually noticed that
specular highlight doesn't work with radiosity. (I would have expected them
to work really, but I guess I can see why they doesn't.)

Any yes - that bit about "pastel shapes" was the fact that, for example, an
orange light like rgb <1, 0.5, 0> will come out yellow with ambient 10. (And
yet - I presume! - the room will be lit up orange, not yellow. Haven't
actually tried it mind you ;-)

Oh well, thanx anyway people!
Andrew.